Enjoying Appetizer Walk

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Chief Wunning Water







Sometimes everything falls into place. The stars align and good things happen. It was that way today. I had a ton of boring work to do, but I looked out my window at the bright, breezy day and wished I had a reason to be out in it. My eyes fell on my assortment of pictures of Ben and Sam and I was reminded of a conversation I had with Tony a few days ago, when he asked me if I had seen them lately. I had not...and I was sure they had grown since I did see them.

Just then, the phone rang. It was Jenna asking if I could pick up Ben from pre-school as she was stuck in traffic. Could I....I had my coat on before I hung up the phone!!

Ben's pre-school is just a few blocks from my office, so I got there in no time. I got to see his school room and the owl that he made that is hanging on the wall. I saw his favorite pre-school toy, a train set, and his teacher told me that he plays with that most of the time when he is there. I saw his "own mailbox" with his name on it and looked at his "homewruk." And you know what's coming next....yep...it took me back 30 years.

Ben's teacher told him to show me what he made in school and tell me about it. "It's a necklace," he said, holding it out to show me. "It's got a feather on it and this is not macaroni that you eat." Ah, good point. At the bottom of the necklace was a round piece of what looked like cardboard. "Tell your grandmother what your Indian name is," his teacher told Ben. Ben looked confused so I suggested she tell him to tell "Mo Mo." She did and you could see the light bulb go off over Ben's head. "OH," he said. "My Indian name is Chief Wunning Water." His teacher explained that they were talking about Thanksgiving and the Indians and Pilgrims. They were also talking about the elements and each child had to pick an element and give themselves an Indian name associated with the element. Ben picked water. He told me, "when he goes to Mo Mo's and Papa's house he plays in the fountain with wunning water and the hot tub." What beautiful logic.

From pre-school, we went to "Two Dad's Diner" and had some apple juice while we waited for Mommy and Sammy. We talked about coming over to our house next week and how Ben is going to play with airplanes with Uncle David. The time for me to go back to work came all to quickly by--but, I got to see pre-school, had a great conversation with Ben and Jenna, I got to see a sleepy Sammy and I have to admit this was one of the best afternoons I have ever had "at wruk."

Thanks, Jenna, for getting stuck and thank God the stars were aligned just right!!






No comments:

Post a Comment