Enjoying Appetizer Walk

Monday, October 14, 2013

I Named Her Savva



Tony, Dixie and I went to Charlotte over the weekend to see Tony and Marie's new house.  It's a beautiful house in a very nice neighborhood.   We had a really good time seeing everyone and playing with Coleton and Tyson.
 
Tony (Jr.) surprised us by giving us a Russian Nesting doll that he bought in Russia when he was there for his Olympic planning trip.  She has a beautiful face and 9 little surprises inside of her frame.  I named her Savva and she has a place of honor in my curio cabinet. 
 
I did some research and found out that while many of us think that Nesting Dolls originated in Russia, they actual started in Japan.  The ones from Japan were shaped like bullets.  It was Russia, Poland and Hungary that changed the design to have a specifically shaped head and body.   They originated in 1890. 
 
Savva represents a Russian girl who probably was from a house in "high order."  Her clothes do not depict the life of a peasant girl, as earlier dolls did.   The first Russian Nesting Doll was "The Rooster Girl," who had a black rooster, a kerchief and a work apron painted on her.   Her image was created at the Children's Education Workshop and Salon, a toy company in Abramtsevo, Russia,  that was founded by Savva Mamontov.   They are known as "matryoshka" dolls (little mother.)  Over time, the figures depicted not only peasants, but fairy tale characters,  gypsies, royalty and even politicians. 
 
The Japanese Nesting Dolls had 7 smaller dolls inside of them to represent the 7 Gods of Fortune.   The Russians decided that the Nesting Doll would be more fun for children if there were more toys inside--hence, the 9 little characters who live inside of her body, built with the same precision and detail as the largest figure. 
 
I love learning about art and appreciate that Tony thought of us when he was so far away.  We will treasure Savva for a long time.
 
I will post a blog about the visit and the house, but in the meantime, enjoy Savva.
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment