I have known for quite a while that men and women process information in a different manner. They are wired differently and therefore, different things are important to them--which means, they retain different pieces of information in a ranking system--from, "I have to keep this top of mind forever," to "whatever...I'll think about this as I need to."
I was reminded of this exercise this evening when Tony and I went to the City Club for the monthly wine tasting.
I saw a flashing sign that indicated there were some side street closings around 3rd Street. I called out this information to Tony in case he found himself in the vicinity of 3rd Street in the next 24 hours. Tony responded by wondering if this had anything to do with 2nd Street. He asked if I recalled all of the construction on 2nd Street. I did not.
It was then I realized that mental wiring is different between men and women; much like a toaster and a freezer.
I see information and I process it in that moment. "Ah, construction on 2nd street--don't go there." After that, it's like the information pops up in my brain as if it were in a toaster and I throw it out. I don't need it anymore...it served the purpose for the moment and after that it is gone. Popped up and thrown away forever. Did I know there was construction on 2nd Street? Sure I did...at the moment I saw the signs...after that it popped up and out of my memory like a burnt piece of toast. Gone forever to the grand scheme of things.
Tony, however, has a mind like a freezer. He sees information, he captures it and puts it in deep freeze until he needs it again. He can pull out this information at any time, much like he is pulling out 4 pounds of filet mignon--he knows where it is--he knows this is what he wants and he delivers it to the applause of his audience. Tony can put things in deep freeze and retrieve it in a heartbeat. He can tell you where we were 10 years ago and what we were doing. The only thing I remember is that we were doing it together.
Dr. Phil and various psychiatrists will tell you that women have a long memory--and that's true, but we have a long emotional memory. I can't tell you where we were 10 years ago, but I can tell you that we loved each other, no matter where it was or what we were doing.
My mind is like a pop up toaster and Tony's is a freezer. What better combination to capture memories--short and long term?
No comments:
Post a Comment