Enjoying Appetizer Walk

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Welcome to the 21st Century......



I've always said that I didn't want a "smart" phone.  I didn't want a machine that was smarter than I am.  And, from a "need" perspective, I just need something that rings when someone is calling me and allows me to call out.  Bingo...that's it.  And, that's pretty much was I had for about 10 years.  I had an LG flip phone that not only had the calling features that I wanted, but I could text, too.

I got the phone when I worked for New York Life.  You had to be a big texter to work there.  Messages flew back and forth from New York City to Lakewood and many times as I was typing on my tiny little keyboard, I wondered why we just didn't call each other.  The "Lifers" used to tease me because I texted with perfect grammar and punctuation.  I didn't use the "R" for are or the "U" for you. They explained that using abbreviated word forms was more efficient than typing everything out.  Hmmm....more efficient maybe, but sometimes hard to understand.  The first time my boss texted me LMAO, I spent hours trying to crack the code (laughing my ass off....)  That did NOT seem more efficient.

Well, a few days ago, the light on my phone dimmed and went out for the last time.  It died.  I guess after 10 plus years, the battery was fried.  So, I found myself in a Verizon store with Tony picking out a new phone.

Geez, the sales lady was asking me about using "the cloud, having a blue tooth," and all kinds of stuff in a new phone language.  

"I just want it to ring," I answered.  And so, I got the most basic of basic models.  It "only" has:  Google, a camera, a calendar, a clock, a place for contacts, email, a photo gallery, messages, the ability to play music, a play store, Samsung notes, Samsung gear, voicemail, ebay, a Final Fantasy XV" app, Chrome, Yelp, Wish, News Republic and a  Bank of America app.  Oh, and you can make and receive phone calls!!  How in the world did I survive without all of these things?

I am slowly getting the hang of this.  First, the sales lady said that my existing phone contact list would not transfer over--but it did--sort of.  As I looked it over, I realized that the phone list that transferred over was from when I worked at New York Life (but NYL did not purchase the phone.)  I had phone numbers for people I haven't spoken with in years, but I didn't have Brenda or anyone at the hospital.  So my quest for the next few days is re-collecting phone numbers and deleting New York Life.  

So, I have made my way to the new technology front...or as Tony said, "Welcome to the 21st Century."  I'm guessing that my phone will be a dinosaur by January!

On the holiday note, Tony put up the Christmas tree last night and we are going to decorate it today while we watch the Carolina Panthers play.  I don't think Dixie was thrilled to have the tree in front of "her" sliding glass door exit to the Lanai, but just like last year, she will get used to it.

What do you think?

"Seriously, if they had that tree on the floor, I'd pee on it."

The Christmas tree under the beach sign, yep that's the way to do it. 

The tree under the lights that Tony put up for me 

"OK, explain this to me again...WHY does the tree have to be in front of MY Lanai door?



The old and the new...so long, old friend...


We decorate, Dixie supervises

"The tree blocks my exit to the Lanai, I take Daddy's chair."


Tony puts the star on top

And it looks just right

Even Dixie thinks so

I think she sees herself in one of the ornaments

Remember the Little Shepherd Boy who carried the lamb?  Tony carried Jack like this when Jack weighed 42 pounds....in the summertime!

Santa likes Dixie....

Dixie, isn't loving Santa back

Ornaments that Tony's grandmother had

The finished product!  Perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment