Enjoying Appetizer Walk

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

The Rhythm of Life



We spent a few days in Cleveland in June to attend Sarah's bridal shower.  I have to admit to looking at the beautiful bride-to-be in front of me and remembering that little girl that I took shopping so many years ago.  Her hands were messy after lunch, which was also showing on her face.  She raced along happily in stores and in the mall and stood patiently while I tried dresses and slips on her for hours.  

What a difference I saw on the day of her shower.  With guidance from her parents, she has become a self assured, graceful woman.  She set goals for her career and life and is achieving them as time goes quickly by.  

And now she's getting married. She found a wonderful man, they have spent years together learning about each other and making memories and now, they have a home of their own.  

I thought of Sarah again the other day.  Tony and I have started a new routine in the rhythm of our life together.  We do our own thing during the day and sometime in the afternoon, we take Alexa out on the lanai and take turns choosing songs for her to play.  We sing along, we talk about the first time we heard the song, who is singing it, why we like it and all kinds of other things.  We watch to see if there are any humming birds taking advantage of our feeder and we stretch our necks to see the military planes that are flying overhead.  Dixie, of course, comes out to be with us--sometimes sitting on Tony's legs or just on the cool concrete.  

It's a time when we don't get bogged down in the little things that tend to get in the way of enjoying the life we have made.  It's a time to plan and to remember.  It's a time that neither of  us would change.   

I look forward to the time that Sarah and Steven discover their rhythm of life.  I know that they will have a family and get stressed with all of the things that parents who have children go through.  Are they healthy,  are they safe when they leave the house, will they make the right choices?  I know that they will get stressed over money--do they have enough for all of the things that their family really needs in various stages of their lives?

But at the end of their careers, when their children are on their own, I hope they have a lanai that reminds them of why they are together and the things they have accomplished together.  I hope they play music and sing.  I hope they dance.  I hope they smile.   I hope they are as happy as they will be on their wedding day--just 23 days away!

Cheers...Here's to your new life together!


No comments:

Post a Comment