Enjoying Appetizer Walk

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

The Writer's Conference At UNCW



I have wanted to be a writer since I was very young.  I remember telling my parents what I wanted to do and my father told me that writing wasn't a real job.  

Yes it is.  

On Monday, I attended "Writers Week" at UNCW.  It was the first day of learning about the craft, talking to published professionals, having your work audited and listening to lectures on various types of writing.  

It was wonderful.  Just to be a part of writing conversations and thinking about ways you can express yourself was really great.   

We wrote short essays in 3 separate genres, heard different perspectives on writing and got to ask questions about the publishing and editing process. 


One of the speakers was Melody Moezzi.  She is an Iranian American Muslin author, an attorney and political activist.  She's written several books and is a United Nations global expert.  She spoke a lot about rage.  It seemed funny to me at first, but she told us that many writers got their start by being really, really angry about something (usually social injustice.)  Rage in writing puts emotions on a page--and if done correctly, can be very powerful and moving to the audience without creating havoc.  

We also heard from Clyde Edgerton.  He has published 10 novels, many about living in the Wilmington area.  However, according to him, one of his proudest accomplishments is being banned from the New Hanover County school system for writing and talking about the shortcomings in the system, especially in the financial area.  He, too, had a lot to say about rage!

I sat with a lady named Betty Belle Brown.  She published a book called, "Pretty Much," which is about her relationship with her mother.  She did it through a vanity press, which basically means she paid to have it published with the hope that selling it on Amazon would get it picked up in major bookstores.  She was fascinating.  It turns out she is 83 years old (I thought we were the same age....) and has lived a very interesting life.  She is also a painter and teaches at various venues.  She was motivating and funny!

I enjoyed the day so much.  The writing seminar at UNCW happens only once a year, but I found that there are a few other writing avenues I can explore.  This has opened a door and a place for me that I can't wait to enter and explore.

Today, Tony and I had a lanai picnic at the Grand Lanai.  Another fun day!

David, Brenda and Alex will be here in 2 weeks.  More fun!

The brochure detailing events

Our lanai picnic

Tony getting ready to pour the wine



No comments:

Post a Comment