I'm starting to think that we didn't move south enough. This January has been really chilly. It's in the 30's in the morning when we get up and sometimes goes into the 20's late at night.
I battled the "Carolina Crud" during Christmas and I'm starting to sneeze and sniffle again. Enough already.
I did an article for the Leland Magazine on the NC Rice Festival and the Gullah Geechees. It sounded so interesting, we're going to attend. The Gullah Geechees (spelled that wrong) were the slaves that were brought over from the Sierra Leone area because of their knowledge of growing African riced and irrigation systems. At the time, the Carolina's grew Asian rice. African rice was better and brought in a better price. The Gullah's kept many of their African traditions and language.
I also did a story for the Coastal Buzz on "Mats for the Homeless," where ladies get together and crochet plastic bags into water proof mats so homeless people will have some protection from the cold, wet ground. The Leland Senior Center is a great place to hang out and learn things. I learned that you have to have strong hands to crochet plastic bags!
I was sad to find out that an old friend from Denison church has died. Doug Singer was only 67. He was a nice man. A bit goofy, but nice. His funeral is on Friday. Who would have thought that the remaining 2 old Daley ladies would outlive Doug?
It's also said to hear that Denison church will be closing in the near future. Their minister is retiring and moving back to New York. Every Sunday the collection plate is empty and the flock is few, but hungry. They eat lunch after the service and leave. It's sad that they don't give back or attempt to do anything for the church. It may be turned into a Community Center. Too early to speculate.
Donna and Bob are here and Donna and I are doing our first, 'Ladies Who Lunch (and shop, shop, shop,) on Friday. It's always fun when they are down here. We have a Super Bowl party and go out to dinner once a week. Tony Jr., and David may come down while they are here so they can golf with Uncle Bob and Tony. That's always a good time--multiple people pimping Tony instead of just me!
I hope this year will be good to everyone and that everyone will make this a good year.
No comments:
Post a Comment