Enjoying Appetizer Walk

Saturday, March 20, 2010

March 20; A Day of Joy; A Day of Sadness


Today was our monthly "sister lunch" where my sisters and I get together, have lunch and talk about growing up. Today was particularly appropriate because our mother died 4 years ago today...and ironically, Jenna and Jon have been married for 6 years today. Jenna was pregnant with Ben when Mom died and how often I have said, I wish my mother could have seen Ben, just once. She would have fallen in love with him just like she did the first time she saw Jenna. And now, with Sammy, well, she would have been a terrific great grandmother.


Today we talked about our relatives in New York, Bill and Emily Cacassio. We called them Uncle Bill and Aunt Emily but I'm really not sure of what the relationship was. Uncle Bill owned a candy store and Lynn and I both remember going (on separate visits) to New York on a Greyhound bus with our grandmother (Papa's mother) and spending time in New York. What an adventure it was. We got to "work" in the candy store and were paid in candy bars. Those were fun times.


We talked about our aches and pains and how we are all getting older...but, being together seemed like it used to--Lynn, the oldest has all of the family memories, I am connected but there is a part that is missing and Fritz--well, she will always be the baby. We have to fill in memories for her. Lynn was talking about various memories today and Fritz said, "how do you know all of this stuff?" Lynn replied, "I lived it." It's hard to believe that we are all in our 50's.


Lynn is trying to organize a neighborhood event...50 years of friendship, with various neighbors that are still alive, but who have moved. I'm not sure how I feel about participating. I remember my friend, Gail, as a tall, slim girl with long, long hair. Seeing an older woman with grey hair will be very different. We'll see.


And so, another "sister lunch" is over. I haven't had dreams of my mother yelling at me since we started to do this, so I guess she is happy now.


No comments:

Post a Comment