Enjoying Appetizer Walk

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Children in the House



There are times when Tony and I cherish the silence of the house. We read, look at what the weather has done to the yard, he paints or I write. It is a comforting silence, but one, I realized recently, that I associate with my grandmother's house. My sisters and I weren't raised to make noise. We were "little ladies" who should play quietly. When I stayed at my grandmother's house my "quiet" training easily translated to that environment. She would take naps or water flowers. TV wasn't what it is now. There were 3 basic channels and nothing really aimed at children. So, for the most part I grew up quietly.


Maybe that's why when Ben and Sam are here I love the noise. Ben and Sam are very polite at the dinner table; they say please and thank you in all the right places....but when they play, they play. Sammy bangs on things and Ben runs through the house being an airplane. Toys that make music give us concerts and Jack's dog treat jar constantly barks. It's a circus, it's alive and I love every minute of it.

Jenna, Jon and the kids came over for dinner last night. We got to see Sammy take a few steps and Ben said grace at dinner. Seeing Ben standing next to Sam, I realized how tall they are both getting--although Sammy is still quite copact. They are happy little boys and I'm glad they came to visit. There's always something special about having children in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment