Enjoying Appetizer Walk

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine Treats

What fun I had with Ben today. When I pick him up from school, I stand in the vestibule outside of locked doors. I can hear the kids getting their coats on and getting ready to go home before I can see them. The procession usually starts with one of the teachers leading the children one by one in a line to the vestibule. From there, they sort out who's mom is there and walk the children out to the car. Since I walk Ben home, I'm always the first "pick up" person they see and they usually take a minute to tell me what the activity of the day was.

Today was not only Valentine's Day, but Christina's (a Ben classmate) birthday. Her mom brought in heart shaped donuts. The teacher told me, "look for Ben to be on a sugar high, the kids had Valentine's treats and birthday donuts today."

Usually Ben is at the front of the line to leave, but today he was way in the back. The kids are used to seeing me now, so some of them came up to show me what they made for their moms. To each one I said what a great job they did and how much their moms would love what they did. Suddenly, I was surrounded by the class, each showing me their treasures. The next thing I heard was Ben's voice from the end of the line saying in a very indignant voice, "Mo Mo, I'm over here...." He cut out of line and came running up to me and held up his gift for Jenna...."Mo Mo, look at mine first," he said.

I loved that moment. It reminded me of a time when I went to Jenna and Jon's church and did nursery time with Jenna. I was sitting on the floor near the TV and one of the little kids just came over and plopped down in my lap and started to watch TV. Now the whole time I was in the nursery, Ben was running and playing with the other kids--until he saw this little boy in my lap. From across the room he started to walk toward me, his little arms swinging back and forth as he said, "no---no----no---no." And then proceeded to remove the little boy from my lap and sit down. To be coveted by Ben is always special to me.

I looked down at him and his face was full of chocolate. For a minute I thought he needed a shave!! It got even better when we went home and he tried to get a Mommy to let him eat a treat, "cuz, he didn't eat anything."

Speaking of treat--Ellie was up and wide awake when I came by. She laughed at me and followed my voice and movements and seemed really glad to be up and in the middle of everything. What fun I had....now, if I could only wake up Sammy so I could see him too, life would be good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment