As a child, I was never allowed to "play" in dirt. That included growing anything. My mother considered gardening....or rather, yard maintenance, to be a man's job.
After Tony and I got married, year after year, I watched him make the yard beautiful. He planted things in the yard, had hanging baskets on the front porch and back deck and did all kinds of things to make our yard the best one on the street. I got into "gardening" enough to fill a pot or two after a few years.
Now, I look forward to our trip to the nursery to pick out flowers and discuss what our color theme will be this year.
To be perfectly honest, after I put the plants in the pot, Tony takes over the maintenance, but I enjoy looking at the color palette I put together and contributing, in a small part, to the beauty of the yard.
We went today to pick out our flowers. I picked out a pink lily, that will look nice against the green of the yard. Unfortunately, I'm terribly allergic to it and spent the ride back from the nursery coughing and sneezing. Every year, we get a deep red Ti plant and I got variegated green plants to go on either side of it. The most fun thing I bought was a flat of succulent flowers that look like spiraled pasta noodles. They will stay low to the ground, but grow out. I got a square pot to put them in and I have a few yard ideas. We have to be careful because of the lawn service. We can't just put stuff anywhere (which really annoys me) because it will slow down their cutting efforts. But, I'm sure, this year again, our yard will be beautiful.
In other news...Dixie has destroyed another "Stretch." Stretch was a yarn animal that Lynn got her for Christmas. It looks like a blue dog and there is a thing in its head that makes it squeak. Dixie just loves it. She destroyed the one that Lynn got her for Christmas, so Lynn sent her two more. Well.....as we say (quietly) in the Emergency Room....another one bites the dust.
I got my hair cut and colored the other day. As I was riding down the elevator, I noticed that I looked like Beverly. When Tony saw me, his reaction was kind of slow. I said, "I look like Beverly." He responded, "yeah, I know, I was thinking the same thing, I'm just glad you are the one that said it." Don't get me wrong, Beverly was an OK looking person, but who wants to be told that you look like your husband's ex-wife? Next month...we go back to blonde.
We are counting down the days until our vow renewal and getting the details out of the way. We are going to Greensboro next month to see the show, "Jersey Boys." We saw it in Cleveland years ago and really enjoyed it. It's all about Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons...OK, I know you guys don't know who that is, but the music is really good.
Other than all of that, things are quiet. The weather is warming up and I am working my butt off at the hospital. 15 days in March and another 15 days in April.....mostly 3 to 11 p.m. But, the money is good.
We're off to art gallery walk tonight with a stop off at the City Club. Busy, busy, busy and I'm glad we are.
The spiral noodle flat is in the upper left, the lily that makes me sneeze in in front, the variegated green plants are in the back, to the right and the rest are flowers and tomatoes that Tony will plant in the yard.
Our "Swegle Family" sign will be among the new flowers.
Here is the before and after "Stretch." The before is the one Lynn recently sent Dixie that we haven't given to her yet. The other one is the one Dixie loved to death...again.
Here she is stealing "Stretch's" head to make it squeak. So long, Stretch, you were loved....a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment