Those of you who know me best know that my mother frowned on athletic activities for girls. Sweating, running and jumping were things that girls didn't do. I played basketball and ran track in high school, but my mother considered these things to be activities that were forced on me by the school system, not things that I enjoyed doing. But I did and I was reasonably good at both. I don't mean to say that she was anti any sport, but she did have her ideas about what "little girls" were supposed to do.
My father was a bowler and a golfer and my mother spent many hours telling us how these activities were worthless and only things that men did. Today, I find it funny that my sister, Fritz, is an excellent bowler, who has attended and won many tournaments. And, I have dabbled in golf. I guess we took after Papa more than Mom.
I "dabbled" today. David came up from Tampa a few days ago and we went golfing today. Keep in mind, I used to golf on a regular basis when we lived in Strongsville with my friend, Joyce. But, since we have been in North Carolina, it's been at least 2 or more years since I golfed.
We went to a Par 3 course in Southport, which seasoned golfers use to improve their short game and beginners go to learn the game.
The course was in terrible shape, they said that it was affected by various insects, (and we were attacked by huge flies) but it was more than that. The fairway was overgrown and sand marked many spots where golfers played before us. But, like David said, it's not about being good, it's about getting out there and "stinking up the course together."
What a good time I had. It made me realize that David and I have spent little time one on one over the years and this was a great way to communicate.
A par three course suggests that you should finish the course with a score of 27 on the front 9 and another 27 on the back 9, so your score should be 54. Well, I doubled that on the front 9 and more and ended up with a 61. A terrible score on a par 3, even with the course being so rough. I topped the ball, skimmed it, missed it and landed in the sand. I fought off flies, balanced on the edge of a water trap and sweated like someone from Alaska visiting hell.
But I had fun. David reminded me that golf, among other things, is a game of rhythm. Get your balance and rhythm going and you should have a good game. I had a good game--not in score but in company and memory. This is a memory I will treasure for a long time.
After the game, we searched out places in Southport to have lunch. We found a bistro that was serving brunch and had a really good meal together.
My son, David, is a good man. He is honest, committed, hard working and loving. He is like his father and he makes me very proud.
I had fun today. I sucked at golf, but for a small moment in time, I enjoyed the sun, the breeze and the challenge. I enjoyed being out with my son. It was Mother's Day for me and what a wonderful day it was.
No comments:
Post a Comment