Enjoying Appetizer Walk

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Well, We Know What It Isn't....

 
I guess you never really realize what having good health means until you don't have it.  As I have said many times before, I never thought I would live very long...I have also said that I'm the kind of person who doesn't get a headache--I have a stroke.  I don't have a stomach ache--I have appendicitis.   I don't get open wounds when I am bitten by a stray cat--I get a bacterial infection.  If you're going to do, do it big is my motto!
 
Anyway, my insurance company finally approved the second CAT scan and I had it yesterday...but, they only approved 93% of the cost, so the rest is on me.
 
I had the CAT scan yesterday.  It was odd. A moving table, the sound of a hum, holding my breath and feeling a warm sensation when they inserted the dye.  Very odd.
 
We met with my doctor today to review the results and hopefully come up with a diagnosis.  So, we sort of did...we sort of didn't.
 
We know now that it is not a tumor (yippee), it is not a blood clot.  It is not a pool of blood.  I got to see both CAT scans--the one when I was in the hospital and the most recent one.  The original, showed a blurry area on the left side of my body.  It was pretty  big; but you really couldn't see anything that jumped out and said, "hey, I'm a tumor!!"  The results of the one yesterday were different; first, we confirmed that I do indeed, have a heart--just in case anyone was confused, because it was right there on the scan!!  Next, while there was some blurry-ness in the same spot, you could not see a large mass like before. 
 
The doctor is leaning toward me having diverticulitis--little pockets that form outside of the intestines and have the ability to collect "crap" from your system.  If this pocket breaks, or explodes, it can enter your system and act like it does when your appendix breaks.   That would explain the large mass of bacteria, but, the doctor said that the mass I had was "up north" of typical diverticulitis.  So he really isn't sure he can call it that.
 
So, all in all, it's good news, but I am still full of questions.  I have a colonoscopy (yes, Tony, Rose, Donna....I am having one!!)    scheduled for the end of the month.  At that point in time, the doctors will see my body from a different perspective and will be able to tell me if there is a tear in the intestinal wall, if I need to have a section of my colon removed or if colon cancer has started to plant its ugly roots in my body. 
 
It's a hurry up and wait kind of thing, but I know it's not a cancerous tumor and that will allow me to sleep and function. 
 
It's funny, sitting in a doctor's office anticipating bad news.   I had a 2:30 appointment, but did not see the doctor until a bit after 3:00.  During the time in the waiting area, I just looked around.  I translated all of the doctor's names that were printed backwards as you look out the door.  Did you know that Mark backwards is KRAM?  Yep, I was that anxious.  Anything to keep my mind off of what the news may be.
 
I counted 110 ceiling tiles in the office--most of differing sizes.  I saw an anorexic palm tree with the stem being about as big around as my little finger with and all-to- white, wisps of leaves reaching toward the door as you entered.  The chairs were ugly--they sat on a rug with a floral pattern that seemed to be the shadow of the anorexic palm.  A washed out brown with olive shades made up the chair seat and very few of them had two arm rests.  It was uncomfortable to be there; both for the reason and the accommodations. 
 
But, finally we saw the doctor.  He says maybe diverticulitis, but wants to confirm a few things with the colonoscopy.  If they can't figure out what started the bacterial infection, they will have to do exploratory surgery--but that's a long way off.
 
I thank all of you for your prayers and for the Guardian Angels you sent to take care of me.
 
I will keep you posted!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment