Enjoying Appetizer Walk

Thursday, October 3, 2019

OLD FRIENDS, NEW MEMORIES


Did you ever have one of those friends who you could be separated from for  years but when  you reconnect, it's like you never stopped talking?

A few days ago, I got a letter from my friend, Pat Mason.  Pat and I met when we both worked for Ohio Savings.  I often tell the story that I was sitting in this room with all of the new hires filling out paperwork.  For whatever reason, I looked around the room and saw Pat.  She was professional looking, well groomed and there was something about her that screamed, "this chick is a hoot."  She had a laugh that made you laugh and a quick wit.  I knew that not only would we be friends, we would be accomplices.  

And I was right.  We quickly hit it off and have been friends ever since.  We lost contact when I moved to North Carolina and that was sad.  Stuff would happen at work and I'd want to talk to Pat and get her take on it.  I wanted to call her and cry when I had lonely thoughts about how far away Jenna, Jon and the kids are.  But mostly, I wanted to hear her voice and laugh at the silly things we get ourselves into.  

And that's what we did today.  The years melted away, we talked about our children and I was proud to tell Pat that we have 8 beautiful grandchildren.  She used to have a picture of Ben in her bedroom.  He was about 2 and she loved his big, blue eyes.  She was amazed to realize that he is now 13!   Pat and Darryl, her husband, attended Tony and Marie's wedding in 2011.  She just couldn't believe that they now have 3 boys--Coleton, Anthony and Owen.  Pat isn't a grandmother  yet, but I'm sure she will be soon!

And so, as we have often said, "God watches over us," and today, he brought us back together.    Thanks, God!

I'll be sending Pat pictures of the grandchildren she hasn't met yet:

Alexandra at her baptism

Alex and Owen

Marie with Owen, Brenda with Alex, David with Coleton
 in front of him and Tony Jr with Anthony

Alex today at 2 years old 

Coleton and Anthony with the game balls they both won at T Ball

Owen




No comments:

Post a Comment