It's funny--winter here can be just like Cleveland. Oh, I don't mean the snow and all that comes with it, but how quickly the temperature can change.
We were at our favorite wine bar yesterday and someone said, "I tell people that if they don't like the weather here in Wilmington, just wait 5 minutes and it will change." Ha Ha, didn't we say the same thing about Cleveland weather?
Today was an odd day. It was down right gloomy, but the wind was strong. It moved the tall grasses and made them swing back and forth. It made the vinyl windows in the lanai stutter. The windows reflected the Christmas lights from our small tree and the twinkle lights hanging around the lanai and when the vinyl windows shook, it made the lights look like they were bouncing and dancing. It was pretty.
Christmas is just around the corner. We did our cyber thing and went to the mall yesterday. I was happy there. My fit bit said I walked 4,045 steps. That's a high for me this month, but it did not come without sitting down on the way from store to store and drinking water. I remember days at the hospital when I did 10,000 steps and felt good about it. Today, I am lucky to hit 1500. Damn, it sucks to get old.
We've started to get Christmas cards from the kids and can't believe what beautiful grandchildren we have. Alex is a stunner and hasn't taken a bad picture ever. She was in her first school Christmas pageant and, of course, was the cutest one on the stage.
We've started to get Christmas cards from the kids and can't believe what beautiful grandchildren we have. Alex is a stunner and hasn't taken a bad picture ever. She was in her first school Christmas pageant and, of course, was the cutest one on the stage.
We will be going to Charlotte on December 26, to have Christmas with Tony Jr., Marie and the kids. That's always a fun and deafening visit. They are so energetic and full of stuff to tell us. It's great. Owen has had some growth challenges, but I'm sure he will be on track soon. Coleton is in to golf and Anthony is still my heart. I understand that he can be a challenge, unruly and rude (per his daddy, not me), buy hey, look at the research on middle children (of which I am one....) and you will find that they need extra attention and a specific role in the family--they are not the special first born and they are not the cute, last baby. They need a place of their own in the family where they feel valued and not invisible. If they don't feel valued, they probably will be unruly and rude, but they are saying, "see me, value me." OK, I guess that gives you a good idea of how we grew up.
Since my sister, Fritz and I have reconnected, we have spent a lot of time dissecting our individual childhood memories. While I felt invisible, she felt stupid and dismissed. We both remember specific remarks that still cut deep. To this day, I don't think she realizes how smart and talented she is. Our mutual concern is that we did the same thing to our children for different reasons. That doesn't make it better and we share our motherhood regrets.
On a lighter note, Donna and Bob will be coming from Cleveland to Sunset Beach in January and we are looking forward to more adventures. We will celebrate Tony's 73rd birthday in February and continue to wonder how he got so old while the rest of us are forever young (yeah, right!)
Speaking of birthdays, Dixie will be 7 on January 6. Tony is "iffy" on getting her another toy for Christmas since she has so many, so I'm not sure how he's going to react to the Dixie birthday bash I am planning!
And, that's about all that is happening in Wilmington. Dixie is well and still full of piss and vinegar. She continues to train us and even though we are slow learners, she manages to get what she wants. Spoiled "child," yeah, probably, but we love her.
Speaking of love:
Coming soon: I can't wait to post pictures of the Charlotte Swegle's and our Christmas visit.
Since my sister, Fritz and I have reconnected, we have spent a lot of time dissecting our individual childhood memories. While I felt invisible, she felt stupid and dismissed. We both remember specific remarks that still cut deep. To this day, I don't think she realizes how smart and talented she is. Our mutual concern is that we did the same thing to our children for different reasons. That doesn't make it better and we share our motherhood regrets.
On a lighter note, Donna and Bob will be coming from Cleveland to Sunset Beach in January and we are looking forward to more adventures. We will celebrate Tony's 73rd birthday in February and continue to wonder how he got so old while the rest of us are forever young (yeah, right!)
Speaking of birthdays, Dixie will be 7 on January 6. Tony is "iffy" on getting her another toy for Christmas since she has so many, so I'm not sure how he's going to react to the Dixie birthday bash I am planning!
And, that's about all that is happening in Wilmington. Dixie is well and still full of piss and vinegar. She continues to train us and even though we are slow learners, she manages to get what she wants. Spoiled "child," yeah, probably, but we love her.
Speaking of love:
Brenda, Alex and David getting ready for Christmas
Alex, reading the book that Tony and I did for her
Puppy love
This is the look we get when we have caught Dixie doing something wrong!
This is Dixie saying, "talk to the paw, the ear isn't listening!"
Play time!
Coming soon: I can't wait to post pictures of the Charlotte Swegle's and our Christmas visit.





No comments:
Post a Comment