Well, the dinner is over. What a day. We had major storms move through the area and we lost power for 5 hours. In hour 2, I asked Tony to hook up the generator because I was running around with wet hair after my shower and I had to be at the event location in 2 hours. Thank God we bought the generator!!
The event was a success, raising what for us is a significant amount, through ticket sales, auction items, raffle tickets and donations. We are already planning next year's event.
It has been a fun time, but also a sad time. Our son-in-law, Jon, lost his brother Aaron at the end of February. Aaron was only 49 and died suddenly, leaving his wife and 5 children. Jenna and Jon are going to Seattle for a memorial service later this month.
My writing is going well. I did two stories for Leland Magazine, two for Coastal Buzz and several for Cape Fear Voices this past month. Yesterday, I went to an event called "Art Around Town," as a writing assignment for Leland Magazine. The program offers a series of artistic expression sessions, free of charge, in a park setting. I took a sketching class and wrote about my experience. I really enjoyed myself. It was a beautiful day to be out in a park--breezy and sunny. My sketch wasn't that great, but learning from someone who actually teaches how to approach drawing was a very interesting experience. He talked a lot about trusting your eyes and hands to work together and drawing what you see, not what you think something should look like.
The weather has been very nice. We're actually going to the beach today. It will be the first time for me this year. I'm just going to sit in the sun and soak it up (I hear my skin doctor groaning!!)
We had our taxes done and got a refund from both the state and federal governments. We're going to pick up the paperwork on Tuesday and treat ourselves to lunch out and then go to a cigar/wine bar that Tony enjoys when Bob and Donna are here.
As always, the year is moving quickly by and we are holding on enjoying the ride. Our trip to the Outer Banks for our anniversary is coming up and we're doing Hilton Head in June this year instead of August.
On Monday, I'm doing an interview for the Coastal Buzz for a story on Healing Through Art. It should be interesting. And then, on Saturday, we have the Palm Pointe Social. I went to a breakfast last Wednesday to welcome a new neighbor to Compass Pointe. We had a good time. We rotate having high tea and breakfast/brunch with 6 of us. It's fun. One lady in the group is from France, one is from Australia, there are 3 from various places in New York area and me.
Dixie is well. We see more and more grey hair in the midst of her white and brown coat, but she still plays like a puppy. Like us, she enjoys sitting on the lanai (she has graduated from laying on the ground to one of our guest chairs) listening to music and enjoying a treat. We have wine, she has a chew stick!
So, at this point, all is well in the Swegle house and I hope it is in yours too! Happy Spring.
No comments:
Post a Comment