Enjoying Appetizer Walk

Thursday, February 4, 2010

New Baby


No, not Jenna and Jon's...ours. We have a new addition to the family--a 2009 Mitsu, Outlander. Yep...we are an SUV family. Ok, it's a dark picture, but it's really nice. Our life goes in stages. When the kids were all home, a mini van was best....when we felt free and sexy, it was the Eclipse....now, when we think of retiring and moving all of our stuff--well, it's an SUV!

No, really...it's a nice car. One of the best things that Tony and I do is buy cars. And, usually, we do it separately. We each drive our own car..oh, yes, we trade off and on, but when it comes to what we individually want to drive, we don't mess with each other. It's not unusual for either of us to call the other one from a car dealership and say, "I just bought a....." We have faith in each other that we won't put the other in jeopardy of buying something we collectively can't afford and we know that each of us will strike the best deal we can. I find it quite liberating not to need Tony to negotiate my deal and I think that he is somewhat proud that he doesn't have to. Do I know about anti lock breaks and gears? No, but I read enough to know what I don't want and I know what I can afford. I know what I want from a car and so does he.

So, our beautiful, deep green (so much so, it looks gray at night) SUV will be with us when we move to North Carolina and I can't wait.

On other car news, yes, my Toyota is one of the recall bunch. If I don't get my letter in the next few days, I'm going to call the dealership. Although, I find it odd....OK Tony, don't read this part....when I am late for my hair appointment or meeting Tony, I have moved that car up to 98 miles and hour with no sticking gas pedal (and no speeding ticket, either!!!)....so, I really don't think I have a problem...but, will get it fixed anyway.

Tomorrow, I pick up Ben and Sam for the weekend. We can't wait. I feel like an athlete in training...."I can do this," I keep saying to myself...but then I realize that Jenna does this every day and she's a heck of a lot younger than me...hmmmm....well, my mom kept Jenna when she was 54, so I think we will be OK. We have lots of things planned and "safety valves" built into the day. Ben will go shopping with Papa so I can do the laundry. I will have church here for Ben, so Tony can attend regular Sunday services. This is teamwork at it's best and we are up to it.

Tony and I had a date night this evening--as if in preparation for the weekend. It really wasn't, but it felt like it was. That calm before the storm. The looking into each other's eyes and saying "I love you," before the tidal wave hits. That's what it's like with Ben and Sam...loud, exciting, never boring and so oh wild. We hang on while it's happening and then lay down, hearts pounding, when it's over. We survived. And we will do it again....bring it on, Mommy!!! Learn lots about adopting our little girl, and Tony and I will take care of our boys!

1 comment: