Enjoying Appetizer Walk

Monday, May 4, 2015

If You Don't Know For Sure....Don't Say It...


Tony and I have always talked about how people of other cultures appreciate it when you make an effort to speak in their language or attempt to translate our thoughts into their words.
 
I learned today that if you really don't know what you are saying in another language...don't say it.
 
A Hispanic elderly woman was brought into the ED today for treatment.  I approached her with the hospital band and said. in my best Spanish accent.."Nambre?" And she answered me with her full name.  I then said some combination of "Oommm bree an no," or what I thought was, "what is your birthday?"
 
The little old lady looked at me in a very odd manner and I repeated it.  Her granddaughter approached me and said, "you just asked my grandmother how many anus' does she have?"  "OH NO," I don't want to know about her anus, I want to know her birthday.
 
In her best English, the little old lady sat straight up, smiled and  told me what her birthday is. And then she laughed!!  Trust me, she did much  better than I in terms of speaking in a foreign language!

No comments:

Post a Comment